Taxi Driver Licensing
Applicants for a Taxi Driver's Licence must:
- be at least 21 years of age
- have held a current UK Driving Licence for at least 1 year
- first sit and pass the Topographical Test
- multiple choice - 100 questions each with 4 possible answers
- lasts 45 minutes
- pass mark is 80%
- tests are held monthly
- fee to sit the test is £23
- one passport-type photograph is required
Before sitting the test it is recommended that you attend the Taxi School run by Glasgow Taxis Limited (formerly the Glasgow Taxi Owners' Association). Their web site provides further information about the School.
If applying for a Renewal, the minimum period is two years.
Application fees for a Taxi Driver's Licence are as follows:
Valid for Fee
1 year/Temporary £67
2 years £119
3 years £161
Payment can be made by cash, cheque (in applicant’s name only) or postal order.
These fees are non-refundable. A temporary licence may be issued for a period not exceeding 6 weeks.
Applications should be lodged with the Licensing Section at the address below, together with:
- appropriate fee
- one recent passport size photograph
- your current driving licence
- photocard licences must be submitted with the paper counterpart
Please read the Guidance Notes before lodging your application for a Licence.
The following forms may be downloaded:
- Application for a Taxi Driver Licence
- Licence Conditions
- Dress Code
- Application to sit Topographical Test
If you require further information or advice on completing your application form please contact:
Room 29, 235 George Street
Phone: 0141 287 4811